Steroid tablets, also called corticosteroid tablets, are anti-inflammatory medicine used to treat various medical conditions.
You can use them to treat problems such as;
Steroid tablets are only obtainable on prescription.
Common examples include:
Types of steroid medicine
Steroids come in many different forms of steroids are available
The primary types are:
- Tablets, syrups, and liquids – such as prednisolone
- Nasal sprays – such as beclometasone and fluticasone
- Inhalers – such as beclometasone and fluticasone
- Creams, lotions, and gels – such as hydrocortisone skin cream
- Injections – such as methylprednisolone
Steroids are primarily available on prescription, but you can buy a few, like certain creams or nasal sprays, from pharmacies and shops.
Side effects of steroid tablets
Having steroid tablets for less than three weeks is doubtful to cause any considerable side effects. But you can see some side effects if you witness them after taking them for longer or at a high dose.
Side effects can include:
Reviewed by – Dr. Priyanka, MBBS MD Microbiology
Page last reviewed: 04 October 2022