An operation known as a gastrectomy involves surgically removing all or a portion of the stomach. The process involves surgically removing all or a part of the stomach.
Advantages of gastrectomy
Gastrectomy is effective cancer and obesity treatment.
Treatment for stomach cancer frequently involves a gastrectomy.
It’s less frequently to treat:
- Fatal obesity
- Esophageal cancer
- Peptic ulcers
- Cancer-free tumors
The procedure happens depending on which portion of your stomach.
There are four main types of removal:
- Total gastrectomy – removal of the entire stomach
- Partial gastrectomy – removing the lower part of the stomach
- Sleeve gastrectomy – removing the left side of the stomach
- Esophagogastrostomy – the top part of the stomach and part of the esophagus (gullet), the tube connecting your throat to your stomach
You will still have a functional digestive system after surgery, though it won’t work as well as it did before. After removing the stomach section, the small intestine, or the remaining portion of the stomach, the doctor connects it to the gullet.
Every type of gastrectomy happens under general anesthesia, so you’ll remain unconscious.
A gastrectomy happens using 1 of 2 methods:
- An open gastrectomy involves making a sizable incision in the chest or stomach
- Keyhole surgery (laparoscopic gastrectomy) involves numerous tiny incisions and the use of surgical instruments
Compared to open gastrectomy patients, those who undergo keyhole surgery typically recover more quickly and experience less pain following the treatment. You might be able to discharge the hospital a little bit earlier. Keyhole gastrectomies have similar complication rates to open gastrectomies.
Since gastrectomy is an extensive procedure, This can prolong recovery. Following the treatment, you will typically spend 1 to 2 weeks in the hospital, where you may receive nutrients directly into a vein until you can eat and drink normally.
Most foods and drinks will eventually be able to be processed by you. However, you might need to make some dietary adjustments. You could also need vitamin pills to get the proper nutrients. Recovery from a gastrectomy might be lengthy because it’s a comprehensive procedure.
Reviewed by – Dr. Priyanka, MBBS MD Microbiology
Page last reviewed: 16 JULY 2022