Food poisoning is rarely severe and often gets better within a week. You can treat yourself or your child at home if the symptoms are not severe.
Food poisoning symptoms
Food poisoning symptoms can include:
- Nausea (feeling sick)
- Abdomen cramps (stomach cramps)
- High-temperature fever
- Developing aches
The symptoms typically start within a few days after consuming the food that led to the infection. Sometimes they can also begin within a few hours.
How to treat food poisoning yourself
Food poisoning is usually treatable at home by yourself for you or your child. The symptoms typically pass through within a week. The most crucial thing is to drink a lot of fluids, like water or squash, to avoid dehydration.
Food poisoning causes
Consuming contaminated food is the primary cause of food poisoning. The poisoning can happen if food:
- If it is not reheated or cooked thoroughly
- If it is not sorted correctly, like not been frozen or properly chilled
- If the food is left out for too long
- If someone with an illness or who refuses to was hands handle food
- If you consume the food after its use by date
Any food can lead to food poisoning.
Reviewed by – Dr. Priyanka, MBBS MD Microbiology
Page last reviewed: 16 JULY 2022